The Theatre Program focuses on developing the complete theatre artist. Essential foundational skills in acting will be combined with introductory courses in technical theater, film and playwriting to emphasize the concept that theatre is a collaborative art form. Every creative mind counts, and every student is expected to participate with the appropriate energy, effort and attitude. We encourage critical thinking, risk-taking, creativity and a commitment to skill-building. Graduates will be prepared for post secondary conservatory programs, college or professional careers as theatre artists.
Our mission is to create young inventive artists who are concerned with artistic excellence, cross- cultural understanding & social change. We will strive to meet every student at the creative junction where life experience meets ambition and intellectual curiosity in order to expose, nurture and challenge our students with a highly rigorous pre-conservatory style training.
After graduating from Hampshire College, Katie became a writer. Her essays and short stories have appeared in The Huffington Post, Bitch Flicks, Write From Wrong, and Xenith. Her short novel, Somewhere In Between, was published in 2015.
- Playwriting and screenwriting
- Technical Theatre: Set design and construction, costume design and construction, lighting and sound design, production management and administration
- Musical Theatre
- Ensemble projects written, directed and/or produced by students
- Master Classes with visiting teaching artists and industry professionals
- Understanding acting and directing technique
- Developing a theater piece from process to product
- Research and character analysis as both actor and director
- Understanding the nature of critique
- Physical support, control and relaxation
- Vocal technique and breath control
- Producing a community-related work of theater
For a more details on guidelines, requirements, and curriculum, see the ‘Theatre’ section of the 2018-2019 Handbook.