Tutors for Boston Arts Academy High School Students Needed!
Boston Arts Academy is the city’s only public high school for the visual and performing arts, providing 440 students with a full college preparatory education. Come make a difference in the lives of urban youth by tutoring and mentoring high school students in writing, math, science and/or other subject areas.
- There is a mandatory orientation training before the first tutoring session.
- A student’s needs for assistance will be determined by a brief interview with the student by the after school team and the tutor. On any given day, the demand may be high or low and will be indicated on the public online calendar to the best of our abilities. If there is a low turnout on a particular day, tutors may be asked to help with library duties.
- For security and assessment purposes, tutors will sign in when they arrive and sign out when they leave, completing a short form detailing which student(s) they tutored and in which subject(s). CORI background check will be required.
- Tutoring will be based out the school library or under the supervision of a teacher in their classroom. All scheduling and pairing of tutors with students will be coordinated by the Librarian, Rose Marz.
When Can You Tutor:
- Morning tutoring: Monday – Friday, 7:30-8:00am
- Afternoon tutoring: Monday, 2:15-3:45pm; Tuesday – Thursday, 3:00-4:30pm
Boston Arts Academy, 11 Charles St., Dorchester – directly across the street from the Fields Corner T stop (on the red line). Parking may also be available in the immediate neighborhood.
We are looking for individuals with a passion for working with Boston’s young people. Volunteers should be comfortable with Word, basic internet research, and Google Docs. Tutors need to have lots of patience and great organizational skills to work with talented high school students, as well as adhere to professional standards. Tutors will help reflect on and improve performance. Spanish speaking skills and experience working with teens/children a plus, but not required. Come experience a creative and vibrant environment while working with students who need you!
How do I sign up?:
Email Rose Marz at email@example.com with your name, times you are interested in volunteering, subject(s) you can tutor in, and your contact information.