School-Family partnerships are critical to the success and achievement of our students. All parents/caregivers of BAA students are members of the Boston Arts Academy Family Council. The goal of the Family Council is to develop strong communication and support for all families. BAA would not exist without the support of our students’ families. We need your continued energy and support as we continue to fulfill our mission of educating Artists, Scholars and Citizens!
2018-2019 Family Council Meeting Dates
- Tuesday, November 6th, 6:00-8:00pm
- Tuesday, December 4th, 6:00-8:00pm
- Tuesday, January 8th, 6:00-8:00pm
- Tuesday, February 5th, 6:00-8:00pm
- Tuesday, March 5th, 6:00-8:00pm
- Tuesday, April 2nd, 6:00-8:00pm
- Tuesday, May 7th, 6:00-8:00pm
- Tuesday, June 4th, 6:00-8:00pm
Your 2018-2019 Family Council
Jennifer Lopez and Fatima Rodrigues
Jillian McCarthy and Christina Toruno Ramirez
Leah Barrows and Julia Grace
SPED PAC Alternate
Family Engagement Committee Representatives
Citywide Parent Council Representative
Citywide Parent Council Representative Alternate
If you are interested in joining the Family Council, please contact us at email@example.com to let us know or to learn more!
How to be Involved
There are many ways for families to be involved:
- Communicate regularly with your child’s advisor and teachers
- Attend family events held throughout the year
- Attend two family conferences, called Narrative Conferences, per year (one in the Fall and one in the Spring)
- Attend RICO Review at the end of the school year
- Assist with student performances/exhibitions/reviews
- Assist with events
- Assist with fundraising
- Assist with political action initiatives
- Assist with varied aspects of production
- Provide backstage support during productions
- Provide transportation support after productions
- Provide food at rehearsals and during productions
There are also many other ways from home that parents/caregivers can be actively involved with BAA and their child’s educational life:
- Regularly visit BAA’s website, Facebook page, and Twitter account to stay aware of what’s happening and what your child may be involved in at BAA.
- Read monthly Family Council newsletters sent by email.
- Read BAA’s weekly bulletin and other information sent by mail.
- Check in with your child regularly about their school day. For example, parents/caregivers can ask about what their child’s favorite classes and most challenging subjects are, what he/she learned that day, and what he/she is doing to prepare for upcoming assignments and/or productions. Think and talk about ways to support your child as they work toward success at BAA.
- Ask what your child has for homework and offer support and help to complete the assignments as needed. If you or your child is having difficulty understanding homework, contact your child’s teacher, or help your child contact their teacher, and ask for clarification. BAA encourages parents/caregivers to reach out to teachers to get feedback about how to assist their child with assignments from home.
- Consider establishing a regular daily time for homework completion. Help your child set up a comfortable space at home where he/she can focus on and complete homework assignments successfully.
- Regularly check Aspen to monitor your child’s grades. Teachers provide updates at least once every two weeks so parents/caregivers can stay informed about their child’s academic/artistic progress.
BAA understands that life as a parent/caregiver is very busy and appreciate all efforts made to support your child’s educational and overall well being. If your family or your child is going through a challenging time and additional family or student support would be helpful, please contact your child’s advisor, teacher, or Stacy Swasey, Wellness Office Clinician/Family Engagement Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-308-9907. Thank you so much for your support and partnership as we work together to ensure you child’s success at BAA!
Please contact Family Council Leadership with any questions or requests for additional assistance at email@example.com.