Admissions Process for Theatre
Notice: The new BAA Audition Application for the 2019-2020 school year will go live next month. Please check back on our website in August to apply.
The admissions process for Theatre consists of two stages: the online Audition Registration and a Theatre Audition.
Stage One: Audition Registration (Online Only)
We are recruiting for school year 2019-2020. Register here!
Stage Two: Theatre Audition
A panel composed of ProArts College representatives, artists from community arts organizations, and BAA staff conduct the auditions. By focusing solely on the audition, BAA aims to encourage all students interested in the arts to apply to the school. Acceptance decisions are based on the audition only.
BAA offers an Audition Workshop on Saturday, December 8th from 9:30am – 12:30pm to help students prepare for their auditions. Find out more about workshops and other important admissions dates here.
Doors will open at 8:30am for registration and auditions. Auditions will begin promptly at 9am:
- Friday, February 1, 2019 | Everyone reports (first choice major)
- Saturday, February 2, 2019 | Second choice major and new auditions**
We expect every student to be ready for the audition. To view the audition requirements for your desired major, please click on the appropriate link: Dance, Fashion Technology, Music, Theatre, or Visual Arts.
**Students who miss auditions on February 1st or February 2nd, please contact BAA at admissions@
Audition Requirements for Theatre
Theatre auditions include In-Class Participation and preparing a 1-2 Minute Maximum Solo Piece.
Candidates should wear loose clothing, and be prepared both to sit on the floor and to take part in some physical work. Gum, hats and jewelry are not appropriate.
Audition In-Class Participation
Candidates will be asked to take part in a short workshop with a small group of other students. This will focus on some warm-up exercises and games, some group work and some improvisation (acting without scripts).
Audition Solo Piece (1-2 Minute Maximum)
Candidates should bring a short Monologue of 1- 2 minutes maximum to perform. This monologue must be memorized well.
- Students should choose a piece that is dramatic in content and show a sense of character.
- Movement and body language should be included, but only if it fits with the content of the piece.
- Students should NOT play more than one character.
- Students should decide to whom they are talking.
- Students may select a monologue from a special book, a play, or from our list of suggested monologues.
- You may also choose your own piece, but it should be of a similar length and content.
Theatre auditions will be judged on the following:
- Enthusiasm for the art form
- Respect for the work and attitude (response to criticism & taking direction)
- Creativity and ability to work spontaneously in improvisation
- Vocal projection and stage presence
- Ensemble: ability to work as part of a group
Some students will be accepted or not accepted based on their audition and some students will be asked to come for a callback before they make a final decision. Callbacks for Theatre are for selected students only if the judges want to see again. Getting a callback does not mean a student has been accepted or not accepted. Students who get a Theatre callback will have to perform their monologue.
All decision letters (Accepted, Waitlisted, & Not Accepted) will be mailed out on Wednesday, March 13th, 2019.
- Accepted – your score is high enough to be invited to attend BAA in the upcoming year.
- Waitlisted – you are not yet accepted, but may become invited to attend if more students are needed to fill a class.
- Not Accepted – your score is not high enough to be invited to attend BAA in the upcoming year.
Waitlist for Theatre
Waitlisted students will remain on the waitlist until the end of December. If the student doesn’t get in by the end of December they need to go through the admissions process again for the following school year in order to be considered for BAA. Due to the high volume of applicants we do not have an appeals process for Theatre at this time.
Completion of Admissions Process
Only Accepted and Waitlisted students will be asked to submit their official transcripts to BAA’s Admissions Office to complete their Admissions Process. Transcripts allow our staff to place students in appropriate classes, however they are not considered in the admissions decision.