Admissions Process for Dance
The admissions process for Dance consists of two stages: the online Audition Application and the Virtual Audition (Dance Solo Video).
Deadline: Friday January 15, 2021
We are recruiting for school year 2021-2022. We encourage students to apply to BAA by submitting their Audition Application here! All applicants should save the information for their online application log-in and password and should provide the email address they use most often. Students are welcome to audition for up to 2 arts departments and if so must submit 1 application per arts audition.
*Boston Arts Academy accepts students for the 9th, 10th and 11th grades, however we do not admit any 12th graders. 10th and 11th graders are placed on a standby list until a seat becomes available.
Virtual Audition/s (Portfolio Submission)
Deadline: Friday January 15, 2021
Students auditioning for Dance will be asked to submit a 3-Part Video submission for their virtual audition. All Virtual Auditions will have an open window to be submitted between mid-Nov and mid-Jan through our application database. The deadline to submit the portfolio pieces online is the same as the application deadline Friday, January 15, 2021.
*More information on how to submit your video via our database and full arts audition requirements will be posted in November. If this method is not possible for you, please contact Ms. Rodríguez at admissions@
A panel composed of staff from BAA, the ProArts Colleges, local community arts organizations conduct virtual auditions. We expect every student to be prepared for the virtual audition submissions and to review audition requirements prior to sending in their virtual audition/s. We have several events lined up to help prospective students prepare for their audition. BAA offers an Audition Workshop on Saturday, November 21 from 9:30am – 11:00am to help students prepare for their virtual audition submissions. Find out more about workshops and other important admissions dates here.
Audition Requirements for Dance
Students will be assessed on physical potential, flexibility, rhythmic acuity , artistic expression and ability to be coached.
All students must be dressed in appropriate dancewear (leotards, tights, and socks or ballet shoes are preferred) and have their hair pulled away from their face, and secured. Female students that do not have all of the suggested dancewear may wear tight fitting clothing such as shorts and a leotard, or leggings and a fitted t-shirt/tank top. Male students that do not have appropriate dancewear may wear T-shirts and sweatpants or basketball shorts are acceptable. No one can audition in street clothes. Please do not wear jeans.
Dance Applicants are required to complete a Dance Video Audition that includes 3 parts:
- Elemental Movements: focusing on ballet skills
- Elemental Movements: focusing on modern dance skills
- Improvisation – Students make a dance up on the spot spelling their names with their bodies.
- Please use this Instructional Dance Tutorial Video to complete your audition and follow along with the BAA faculty and students featured in the video when filming.
- Submit 1 video including all 3 parts of the audition and title it in this format: Last Name_First Name_ Dance2021
What You’ll Need:
- A space where you will have room to move with good lighting
- Phone with camera for recording the video
- A device to watch the BAA video simultaneously
- Screen should show head to feet
What to do before filming:
- It is important you are warmed up prior to creating your Dance Video Audition. Use this link to our Warm Up Video to prepare for filming your audition video.
Dance auditions will be judged on the following:
- Physical potential
- Rhythmic accuracy and musicality
- Attitude and perseverance
- Movement quality
- Technical proficiency
Callbacks for Dance
Thursday, February 4, 2021
Thursday, February 11, 2021
After a student’s virtual audition is viewed, they may be invited to attend a live Callback on Zoom. Receiving a callback does not mean the student was accepted or not accepted, it simply means the panel wants to see them one more time before coming to a final decision. For Dance callbacks, students will be asked to participate in a live small group dance class on Zoom.Sorry, no content found...