Admissions Process for Fashion Technology
The admissions process for Fashion Technology consists of two parts: the online Audition Registration and a Fashion Technology Audition.
Stage One: Audition Registration (online only)
We are recruiting for school year 2019-2020. Register here!
Stage Two: Fashion Technology Audition
Because our Fashion Technology program will be a Perkins Chapter 74 program, we are required to follow the admissions guidelines for Fashion Technology set by the state of Massachusetts.
The Chapter 74 process requires that there are five categories in the admission process: audition/interview; grades; attendance record; discipline/conduct record; and a recommendation from the sending school. Students are given a composite score based on all 5 areas. All 5 areas will be considered in the composite score according to the following percentages:
- 50% of the score: audition/interview scored on a rubric. A panel composed of ProArts College representatives, artists from community arts organizations, and BAA staff conduct the audition/interviews
- 20% of the score: whether the student has received sufficient academic credit to complete the necessary grade. For example, a student applying to be a 9th grade student at BAA will have to show sufficient academic credit to complete the 8th grade by June of the application year.
- 20% of the score: whether the student has an attendance record sufficient to complete the necessary grade. For example, a student applying to be a 9th grade student at BAA will have to show sufficient attendance to complete the 8th grade by June of the application year.
- 5% of the score: discipline/conduct record
- 5% of the score: sending school recommendation
BAA offers an Audition Workshop on Saturday, December 8th from 9:30am – 12:30pm to help students prepare for their auditions. Find out more about workshops and other important admissions dates here.
Audition Portfolio Requirements for Fashion Technology
Create a Portfolio (a collection of 12-15 strong art pieces)
- At least 5 of artworks that show your inspirations in any medium.
- Include work you do well; pieces that show your strengths
- Sketchbooks are encouraged, but not required. Finished works in a sketchbook can be considered as part of the portfolio application.
- Students with Digital Artwork or a Website Portfolio may include them (Computer and Internet Access will be available).
- Neat Presentation (Expensive portfolios not necessary!)
- Take your time with each of your pieces
Audition In-Class Requirements for Fashion Technology:
- Use a variety of provided art supplies.
- Listen very carefully to all of the instructions and ask questions if you are unclear
- Consider your strengths and try new things
- Design with your customer in mind
- Manage your time
- Use different materials and try to make it work
- Show your style with your work
- Give your best and have fun
- Problem solve and be creative and fearless
Fashion Technology Portfolios will be judged on the following:
(how well is each piece and the portfolio as a whole presented in a neat and organized way?)
(how well does the work show your ability to use appropriate materials to accurately draw, paint, etc.?)
(how well does the work represent your invention and not copy someone else’s work?)
(how well does the work include multiple styles, materials and/or themes?)
(how well does the work incorporate personal and/or social ideas?)
Fashion Technology In- Class Auditions will be judged on the following:
- Following Directions
(how well did you do what was assigned?)
- Skill / Observation
(how accurately did you draw what was assigned, with an appropriate amount of detail?)
(how well did you solve the challenges assigned?)
- Time Management
(how well did you use all the time offered to complete what was assigned?)
- Effective use of a variety of materials
There are no Callbacks for Fashion Technology.
All Decision Letters (Accepted, Waitlisted, & Not Accepted) will be mailed out on Wednesday, March 13th, 2019.
- Accepted – your score is high enough to be invited to attend BAA in the upcoming year.
- Waitlisted – you are not yet accepted, but may become invited to attend if more students are needed to fill a class.
- Not Accepted – your score is not high enough to be invited to attend BAA in the upcoming year.
Waitlist for Fashion Technology
Waitlisted students will remain on the waitlist until the end of December. If the student doesn’t get in by the end of December they need to go through the admissions process again for the following school year in order to be considered for BAA.
Completion of Admissions Process
Only Accepted and Waitlisted students will be asked to submit their official transcripts to BAA’s Admissions Office to complete their Admissions Process. Transcripts allow our staff to place students in appropriate classes, however they are not considered in the admissions decision.
Visual Arts Supplemental Admissions Form
If a students is a Fashion Technology major, they also must submit a completed Visual Arts Supplemental Admissions Form (VASAF), which they will receive via email, to BAA’s Admissions Office in order to complete their Admissions Process.
Appeals Process for Fashion Technology
Students who are not Accepted or Waitlisted and would like an appeal must make an appointment with the Artistic Dean through the main office at 617-635-6470.