We are recruiting for school year 2018-2019. Apply here!
Admissions Process for Fashion Technology
Because our fashion technology program will be a Perkins Chapter 74 program, we are required to follow the admissions guidelines for fashion technology set by the state of Massachusetts.
The Chapter 74 process requires that there are five categories in the admission process: audition/interview; grades; attendance record; discipline/conduct record; and a recommendation from the sending school. Students are given a composite score based on all 5 areas. All 5 areas will be considered in the composite score according to the following percentages:
- 50% of the score: audition/interview scored on a rubric. A panel composed of ProArts College representatives, artists from community arts organizations, and BAA staff conduct the audition/interviews.
- 20% of the score: whether the student has received sufficient academic credit to complete the necessary grade. For example, a student applying to be a 9th grade student at BAA will have to show sufficient academic credit to complete the 8th grade by June of the application year.
- 20% of the score: whether the student has an attendance record sufficient to complete the necessary grade. For example, a student applying to be a 9th grade student at BAA will have to show sufficient attendance to complete the 8th grade by June of the application year.
- 5% of the score: discipline/conduct record
- 5% of the score: sending school recommendation
Completion of Admissions Process
If the student is accepted or placed on the wait-list, they will be asked to complete the admissions process by sending in their official transcript. Transcripts allow staff to place students in appropriate classes. Transcripts must be sent to complete the admissions process, but they are not considered in the admission decision. We request the same item from wait-listed students. If an accepted student declines admission, we want to be able to offer a seat to a wait-listed student as quickly as possible.
Wait-list for Fashion Technology
Wait-listed students for fashion technology will remain on the wait-list until the end of December. If the student doesn’t get in by end of December she/he needs to go through the admissions process again for the following school year in order to be considered for BAA.
Appeal Process for Fashion Technology
Students who are not accepted or are placed on the wait-list and would like an appeal must make an appointment with the Artistic Dean through the main office at 617-635-6470.
- You should have 12-15 fashion designs and at least 5 artworks that show your inspirations in any medium
- Include work you do well; show your strengths
- Sketchbooks are encouraged, but not required. Finished works in a sketchbook can be considered as part of the portfolio application
- Take your time with each of your pieces
- Students with digital artwork or a website portfolio may include them, computer and internet access is available
- Make sure your work is neatly presented (Expensive portfolios not necessary!)
- It is not necessary to bring your own art supplies; they will be provided for you
- Listen very carefully to all of the instructions and ask questions if you are unclear
- Consider your strengths and try new things
- Design with your customer in mind
When in the audition, be sure to:
- Manage your time
- Use different materials and try to make it work
- Show your style with your work
- Bring a watch; it is helpful for you to keep track of your time
- Give your best and have fun
- Problem solve and be creative and fearless
Portfolios and auditions will be judged on the following:
- Ability to follow directions
- Time Management
- Effective use of a variety of materials